Sudden attack on U.S. Capitol puts Washington, D.C. on lockdown

Politics is getting more and more dangerous. You never know how far some will take their beliefs.

And a sudden attack on the U.S. Capitol puts Washington, D.C. on lockdown.

Authorities said a “delirious and combative” motorist was apprehended Thursday morning after crashing his car into a security barrier outside the House of Representatives office building.

Kevin Simon, 28, was charged with careless driving, resisting arrest, and two charges of fleeing after hitting into the barricade outside the Longworth Office Building soon before 8 a.m., according to Capitol Police.

According to investigators, Simon abruptly departed Interstate 395 North and collided with two other automobiles in D.C.’s Capitol Hill neighborhood before crashing into the barrier, sustaining minor injuries.

Simon was transported to a nearby hospital for evaluation.

The accident occurred 23 days after a criminal deviant from Georgia was apprehended while walking with a rifle near three Senate office buildings on the opposite side of the Capitol.

So far, Capitol Police said there was no indication this crash was deliberate or terror-related.

The event occurred during a press conference held by indicted Rep. George Santos (R-NY) prior to a debate and vote on his potential expulsion from Congress.

In that press conference, Santos, who will likely never see another term, called for the expulsion of Rep. Jamaal Bowman (D-NY).

You may recall, Bowman was accused of pulling a fire alarm in order to disrupt a government spending vote back in September.

Bowman eventually turned himself in after D.C. Assistant Attorney General Peter Saba charged him with one misdemeanor count of falsely pulling a fire alarm in the Cannon House Office Building on September 30.

“What I did was against D.C. law,” Bowman said, according to Fox News.

“As I said from the very beginning, I was not trying to disrupt any congressional proceedings. I’m glad the investigation yielded that.”

The charges levied against Bowman carry a maximum penalty of six months in jail, but the D.C. Attorney General’s Office said the congressman “is pleading guilty and has agreed to pay the maximum fine” — which is $1,000 — and Bowman will issue a formal apology to the Capitol Police.

If Bowman sticks to the terms of the deal, which includes three months probation, prosecutors will drop the charge at a sentencing hearing on January 29, according to the plea deal reported by Reuters.

Looks like another busy day for D.C.

Combative drivers ramming into government buildings, congressmen being threatened with expulsion, and the American people suffering while they all hash out their personal scores.

“O brave new world that has such people in it.”

Stay tuned to the DC Daily Journal.

Email Newsletter

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Enter your best address below to receive the latest cartoons and breaking news in your email inbox:
Please wait...
You are successfully subscribed!
There was an error with subscription attempt.