The race for the White House is heating up as we near the primaries. But no one was expecting this curveball.
And a GOP candidate dropped a 2024 announcement that’s sending Republicans into hysterics.
North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum called down his presidential campaign on Monday after failing to gain traction in a crowded GOP field.
“Our decision to run for President came from a place of caring deeply about every American and a mission to re-establish trust in America’s leadership and our institutions of democracy. While this primary process has shaken my trust in many media organizations and political party institutions, it has only strengthened my trust in America,” Burgum said in a statement.
“We are deeply grateful for each and every person who supported us with their ideas, prayers, advocacy, encouragement and enthusiasm,” the 67-year-old multimillionaire added.
According to a source close to the campaign, senior personnel were informed over the weekend that Burgum would suspend his campaign, while the rest were briefed on an all-hands call Monday morning.
Burgum’s workers will get paid during the holidays, according to the source.
Burgum’s team touted the governor’s role in elevating energy policy as a campaign topic, and chastised the Republican National Committee for its debate qualification requirements, claiming they did not “relate to the qualifications related to actually doing the job of the president.”
Burgum did not make the stage at the third Republican debate in Miami on Nov. 8 despite qualifying for the first two debates, and he is not anticipated to qualify for the fourth debate, which is scheduled for Wednesday in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
Despite the low odds, Burgum told the New York Post last month that he will stay in the race until the Iowa caucuses on January 15 and the New Hampshire primary on January 23.
“We will be on the ballot and people will be able to caucus for us in January. Here and in New Hampshire, absolutely, positively,” the governor said on Nov. 20, adding that he wanted to beat the “lowest expectations” in the Hawkeye State.
During his debate appearances, Burgum forcefully reinforced his messaging on energy and the threat posed by China, prompting moderators to warn him that his mic would be cut if he continued to interfere.
According to RealClearPolitics, the businessman received 0.6% national support, as well as 2.7% in Iowa, 2.0% in New Hampshire, and 0.3% in South Carolina.
Burgum is paying his team through December and the holidays, according to a source close to the campaign.
The suspension was announced to senior staff over the weekend, and there was an all-staff call Monday morning before the announcement, according to the source.
You better believe the RINOs in the Republican Party are sweating bullets now.
The more conventional, establishment candidates are dropping like flies.
And it looks like Trump is going to walk right into the nomination in a landslide.
Of course, only time will tell, but it sure isn’t looking good for anyone who isn’t named Donald.
Stay tuned to the DC Daily Journal.